My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Blue Shoots Ltd is a provider of high quality kitchenware, including a large range of cookware, cutlery, kitchen knives, knife sharpeners, toasters, kettles, blenders, food processors and mixers, a wide selection of aprons and so much more. Key brands available include Sabatier, Stellar, Magimix, Zyliss, Dualit, KitchenAid, Judge Vista amongst others. For More Information Visit : www.blueshoots.com

Monday, May 14, 2007

How Long Will Your Kitchen Appliances Last?

My parent's microwave is dead. My dad called last night to inform me of its demise. Frankly, I was never attached to the thing, but it has been a staple in their household for more than a decade so I suppose parting is sweet sorrow...

My dad went out and bought another one, but his shopping trip was not without dismay. His problem is that he was trying to find an exact replica of the one that sat on the counter of my parent's home for the last decade. (Good luck... I told him as much.) In the end, he walked away with a new Kenmore. It's larger than the old one and from what I can gather has more bells and whistles than the dinosaur they housed for so many years.

But, here's the kicker to this story: the guy at the appliance store told my father that the new microwave should last about 11 years. Eleven years? Who comes up with a number like that? It seems like a rhetorical question, but according to my dad, the guy at Sears actually had a legitimate answer and the documentation to back up his claim.

Apparently, there is a trade group that asked dozens of manufacturers and researchers to estimate how long the various household appliances and other major elements of a home like drywall, plaster, and pipes would last.

Here are some of the results: According to the National Association of Home Builders, major elements of a home, including foundations, exterior doors, basements and framing should last at least 50 years. However, other parts of the home have a much shorter lifespan. For example, the life span of a gas water heater averages 10 years, while a heat pump should last about 16 years.

As for common household appliances here's the breakdown:

Refrigerators--13 years

Dishwashers-9 years

Gas Ranges-15 years

Trash Compactors-6 years

Gas Water Heaters--10 years

Washers-10 years

Electric Water Heaters-11 years

Obviously, these are estimates on products that are made by reputable companies---not ones that are picked up second hand.

I was surprised to see that these days dishwashers only last about nine years. My dishwasher is close to 6-years-old. I'm hoping I can squeak out at least two more good years from it before it goes the way of my parent's microwave.

Original Source: http://home.families.com/blog/how-long-will-your-kitchen-appliances-last

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home